I'm pretty sure I started making this when a co-worker at my old job got pregnant. Her child is now three. It's made from a template in Aranzi Aronzo's Cute Book, which I love. (I made a few things from Cute Book and Cute Dolls, and started many more! If I keep looking in the closet I might find more half-made cute animals).
Everything about the Cute Book is cute.
This faceless, naked rabbit dummy been kicking around my closet for years now. I'm caught between keeping it and throwing it out. (And before you ask -- no, I'm not going to give it to the intended recipient. I don't think she'd want it, and gifts should be given because you think the person would enjoy the item, not because you can't bring yourself to throw the gift in the trash).
Curt suggested that I donate the half-finished rabbit to a thrift store "because some child born without eyes or a mouth might enjoy playing with it." I believe that this means that Curt found the naked rabbit a little creepy in its current state, and felt that I shouldn't donate it. I agree. Who wants to thrift an unfinished toy?
Reasons to keep it:
- It's so close to being done. All it needs is a cute little face and a felt jacket and it would actually be pretty cute. I worry that by throwing it out I'm negating my own hard work
- It seems wasteful. What if I need a rabbit doll one day and I have to do all this work over again?
- Throwing away a toy feels a bit like murder to me. Probably because I absorbed too much of that of genre children's entertainment where toys come alive at night (see Corduroy, The Velveteen Rabbit, Calvin and Hobbes, Toy Story, etc).
- I've kind of lost touch with this person, and throwing out a half-finished gift feels I'm throwing out our friendship. This is hoarder logic. Throwing out the rabbit will have no impact on our relationship (if I was so worried about it, I would just call her, right?) But some part of me worries that it "looks bad", though I can't say who's looking (God? My conscience? Now that I've blogged it, the Internet?)
Reasons to throw it out
- I don't want to finish it.
- I don't really have time to work on projects I don't want to do.
- I hate embroidering faces on to stuffed animals.
- I have no need for a rabbit doll (and, as stated above, I'm not going to give it to my old co-worker).
What do you guys think? Should I throw it out or just return it to the closet for another year?